Funny story for you: Wednesday when I went to work my wrist started hurting, I thought it was just a bout of some carpel tunnel coming up so I put this brace on that I still have from a while ago. I went through the day just fine, went off to school, and when I started to write notes it started to hurt again. Well Wednesday night came and went and I went off to work Thursday morning. My wrist was really starting to hurt! I mean really hurt, I was down to typing with 1 finger, and it was slowing me down on the job considerably. When I asked for a different job just for the day my boss sent me to HR.
Well, after going to HR they decided to send me to the work comp clinic to make sure everything was okay. So off I go to the clinic, I left work and went to wait at the Dr.’s office. I have to use the word “Doctor” very lightly because I didn’t even see a real Dr. When I was in the exam room an older man walked in; he was balding, wore huge outdated glasses and never even looked me in the eye once. He introduced himself as a Physician Assistant? What? I don’t even get a real Dr.? Anyway, he started to look at my wrist, which was hurting, pretty bad. He had me move it up and down, and side to side, but it hurt so bad, I could hardly do it. Since I could hardly move it he decided I needed x-rays. I was thinking what the heck? I need x-rays for a sprained wrist? Okay Mr. PA I'll get the x-rays if you want me too.
After the x-rays the PA talked to me about them and told me that a piece of bone had broken off and was “floating” around in my hand and that was the cause of my pain. He basically told me it was not workers comp and I would have to see an orthopedic surgeon to get it taken care of. It took a lot for me not to burst into tears. I was thinking “how in the world did I go from a hurt wrist to surgery?”
That day I made an appointment with my primary Dr. who is absolutely wonderful. After telling him what the PA told me he took a look at the x-rays. About 2.1 seconds latter he called me into the hallway and said “Rebecca is this what he is talking about?” pointing to a small piece of “bone” floating in my wrist. I answered “yup that’s it, how do we fix it?” Dr. Ayers looked at me and was like “that’s not a piece of bone, it’s a calcium deposit!!” “So you’re telling me I don’t need surgery?” I said. Dr. Ayers just smiled at me as I went on a little tantrum about how stupid the PA was at the work comp clinic.
Being that I work in the workers compensation industry you would think I would not be surprised at the poor treatment I received at the work comp clinic. I hear all day long about upset patients wanting their medication, but to actually be one of those people is a different story. My Dr. just prescribed some anti inflammatory meds and told me to keep taking my muscle relaxer from a previous back injury. I just need to keep the brace on for 2 weeks strait and come back for a check up. So long story short: be very wary about a stupid PA in the work comp clinic because their looking after the work comp insurance and your workplace a lot more than they are you!!! Okay okay, maybe I’m being a little dramatic, but still. Anyway, my wrist is feeling much better today, so I just need to make sure I take my medication and keep the brace on and all will be fine!!
Beckie
xoxo
August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment