January 27, 2009

Hey guys,

Yes yes I know it has been a while since my last post. I feel like the last 5 or 6 months have been quite the whirl wind of events. I've wanted to keep my blog updated, but just haven't!! No excuses why, just haven't!

Anyway, lots of things have happened so instead of writing a long story of events like I normally do, I'll try short blurbs…..for now:

1. I sold my house (well, condo) in September. I needed to stay in Utah until mid December due to school, so I moved in with a co-worker. Her name is Elizabeth; she is a great single mom of 3 and wanted to rent out a room in her basement. Her house was close to my old condo and not far from work. The rent was great so instead of getting an apartment I stayed with them.


2. I quite my job in the beginning of November so that I could focus on school. Since I was moving in December and I no longer had a mortgage payment I didn’t need to be working.

3. I finished my Associates Degree in general studies in December. If you take a look at my transcripts it looks like I had an emphasis in Deaf studies although that is not official by any means.

4. I moved back home from Utah in December. My sister and brother-and-law came up when I moved out of my house in September and took all my stuff to Palmdale, CA so that I would not have to move in mid-December. All I had to move when I came home was a car full of clothes and necessities and of course Gabe!

4A. I left at 6 am one a Wednesday morning from Utah. I had carefully planned it out to miss the snow storms that had been hitting SLC for about a week. I started the drive, although a little wet the drive went great until Las Vegas. Apparently there was a huge storm from Las Vegas to Victorville (where my sister lives). This was no rain storm it was the most snow Las Vegas and Victorville have seen in years!! I went past Las Vegas where it had barely started to snow (although further South in Victorville they already had about 7” of snow) thinking I could make the 2 ½ hours. Well apparently I-15 South is closed every Wednesday from 10am – 2pm due to construction until April. So I was stopped at State Line (NV/CA). I was diverted off the freeway, and by this time the snow was starting to pile up but I only had to wait just over an hour, so I thought I would take a cat nap in the car with Gabe. When it was time to open the freeway all million of us tried to get back on, but after about 20 minutes of waiting I found out the freeways would not open because they had no plows for the snow!! After some discussion I went to the other side of the freeway to stay at the only hotel that would take Gabe. When I got inside the line was all the way around the casino floor!! After a 6 hour drive and an hour wait, I wasn’t really up for the long line, but you have to do what you have to do! After about 2o minutes of waiting I was going to leave to Las Vegas to stay with an Aunt but then found out both North and Southbound were closed. I was literally stuck! After 4 hours in line and a few tears of exhaustion I made it to my room! The freeway opened the next day at 12pm. The traffic to the freeway was horrible, but the overall rest of the drive wasn’t too bad! So after 35 hours from when I first started I was finally home!!


So maybe the drive home story wasn’t exactly short, but there you go. I’m in Palmdale, CA now. I live in my Aunt’s guest house rent free, so it’s a pretty sweet deal! I’ve started to volunteer at my Aunt’s school so that is keeping me busy.

I hope you are all doing great!!

Beckie
xoxo

No comments: